<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Black Balsam Knob
Moderators: Administrator, NC-Fordguy, KrawlinYJ
Author Post
JCJeep
Wed Jul 12 2017, 01:21AM
NCK Member
Registered Member #367
Hey Guys, I know its been awhile, ran across this info, though maybe yall might wana go up to the high country. I have no clue about it, I haven't been there, was just doing some light reading I see its only open a few months a year, I don't know that its even still open, I see its most recent post is 2015, also mentions other near by OHV trails, I haven't looked any deeper, but maybe one of you might like too. here's link and the details:
Black Balsam Knob Road
Canton, North Carolina
GPS: 35.326308, -82.880645
Elevation: 5808' - I think this is within 700' of the highest point on the east coast (Mt. Mitchel)

https://freecampsites.net/#!9267&query=sitedetails Some pics here at site

The road in is 4x4. Investor Gap 4WD is open mid-August until January 2nd. The maximum RV length at Investor Gap 4WD is 15 feet. You may stay 14 nights at Investor Gap 4WD.

Activities: OHV
Hiking
Wildlife Viewing

Submitted by hitekhomeless. Last update: Aug 12, 2013

"If you are in a fairly capable off road vehicle there is a FS road off the parkway where you can drive into the back country a bit to camp.

Its called Ivestor Gap, and is up near graveyard fields. The gate for FS road 816 is open August - January. Beware as this trail is not maintained, and the last time I was up there a section of road was washed away forcing us to turn around right as DENSE fog rolled in. And its not exactly the place to be in low visibility." -- braz on the citydata forums

This trail is one of many which leave the Black Balsam parking lot; check the nearby bulletin board for other high-elevation trails. Ivestor Gap Trail begins as a roadbed which is open to motor vehicles from mid-August until January 2; however, it is highly recommended that only high-clearance, 4-wheel-drive vehicles attempt to negotiate it, as the trail surface is rocky and rough for the first two miles. The trail does not follow a ridgeline, but in clear weather there are some outstanding views of the Shining Rock Wilderness to the west.

Directions: From the Pisgah District Ranger Station/Visitor Center parking lot, turn right (north) on US 276. Proceed 14 miles north; turn right onto access ramp for the Blue Ridge Parkway, then left (south) on Parkway. Proceed south approximately 8½ miles to FS 816 (Black Balsam Road), on your right at milepost 420.2. Turn right on FS 816 to the Black Balsam parking lot. The trail starts at the gate on the east end of the lot.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF